Literary societies and publications have long been a tradition at Gardner-Webb University, beginning in 1908 when the institution was Boiling Springs High School and ending in 1948. Kalliergeonean, Athenean, Kalagathean, and Rhamsauer literary societies focused on essay writing, declamation, debate, and self-governance. The collection contains photographs of society members and their early publications, The Argus and The Kalarathea.
By 1967, the Department of English reinvigorated literary pursuits on campus with the launch of The Green Scribe. This publication would eventually develop into the current, award winning literary journal The Broad River Review. The collection contains issues of The Green Scribe, One Little Candle, Reflections, and The Broad River Review.